We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Legal Counsel, Middle East, Africa and Turkey for Premium, Midscale and Economy brands to play a critical role working alongside the development, commercial, operational, and financial teams across MEA to achieve strategic objectives and manage risk. The successful candidate will play a critical role advising on legal matters for the region, with a focus on the negotiation and drafting of Hotel Management Agreements and Hotel Franchise Agreements. The lawyer for this position will exemplify professionalism in the delivery of legal services to all of the stakeholders in the region.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating hotel management agreements and residential management agreements with key partners in MEA.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating confidentiality agreements, MOUs/LOIs, non-disturbance agreements, and ancillary documents relating to hotel management.
- Supporting franchise development, drafting, reviewing and negotiating hotel franchise agreements with key partners in MEAT. Ensuring compliance with franchise regulations in the region, including registration processes, annual reporting, and liaising with local counsel.
- Managing and assisting on legal disputes, including debt recovery and breach of contract, through dispute resolution, negotiation, arbitration, and litigation (including selecting and supervising external legal counsel).
- Reviewing and drafting of operational contracts, and advising on commercial contract matters, for legal compliance and risk.
- Training and assisting business units to manage commercial matters and mitigate risk.
- Preparation of precedents and templates.
- Research on legal issues and new laws affecting the region.
- Champion the adoption of a contract management tool within the organization.
- Liaise with colleagues in the broader internal legal community, participate in working groups and teams on special legal projects for the worldwide organization.
- LLB or JD degree, or equivalent, and qualified to practice law in a country as approved by the General Counsel MEA.
- Have practiced corporate commercial or real estate law in a law firm or in-house for from 7 to 12 years.
- Significant experience and in-depth knowledge of the tourism and hospitality industry, hotel operations and industry trends and ability to understand the key commercial issues in the negotiation of hotel management and franchise agreements.
- Good perspective, business-focused, sound commercial judgment and of the highest integrity.
- Highly collaborative attitude to work with a diverse and multicultural working environment.
- Highest standard in analytical ability, negotiation, and drafting skills.
- Able to set priorities, manage work processes to meet deadlines.
- Effective communicator (oral and written).
- Able to handle multi-task and able to handle last minute requests.
- Experience in and passion for the hospitality sector.