Job Purpose Timekeeper plays a crucial role in maintaining accurate records of hours worked by employees, contractors, or other personnel within an organization. This position is essential for ensuring that employees are compensated fairly and in compliance with labor laws and company policies. Timekeepers may work in various industries, including manufacturing, retail, healthcare, and many others. Below is a comprehensive job description for a timekeeper.
Responsibilities & Duties
1. Time Tracking: Accurately record and track employees' work hours, including regular hours, overtime, vacation time, sick leave, and other types of absences.
2. Time Reporting: Prepare and submit regular reports summarizing employee hours worked, detailing any discrepancies or anomalies, and ensuring compliance with labor laws and company policies.
3. Time Entry: Input and maintain time and attendance data in the organization's designated system or software. This may involve manual data entry or the use of electronic timekeeping tools.
4. Verification: Review timecards, timesheets, and attendance records for accuracy and completeness, ensuring that they match actual work hours.
5. Compliance: Stay updated on federal, state, and local labor laws and regulations related to timekeeping, ensuring that the organization remains in compliance. This may include knowledge of overtime rules, break times, and meal periods.
6. Payroll Support: Collaborate with the payroll department to provide accurate and timely data for payroll processing. Address any payroll-related inquiries or discrepancies.
7. Communication: Interact with employees and supervisors to resolve time-related issues, answer questions, and provide guidance on timekeeping policies and procedures.
8. Training: Assist in training employees and managers on timekeeping software and best practices to ensure accurate and consistent time recording.
9. Record Maintenance: Maintain a secure and organized record-keeping system for time and attendance records, ensuring confidentiality and data security.
10. Audit and Reporting: Conduct periodic audits to identify and rectify discrepancies or irregularities in timekeeping records. Generate ad-hoc reports as requested by management for analysis and decision-making purposes.
Job Title: Timekeeper