The Diabetes Educator will be required to provide a highly specialized level of diabetic expertise by managing, educating and supporting participants with diabetes and prediabetes through proper medical therapy. The Educator will also develop a curriculum based upon principles of good health and apply them to participants in various stages of health including other chronic conditions for in clinic and online visits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, and implement diabetes education for adults, pediatrics, and their families and Care Team members
- Provide education related to diabetes and the disease process; medication, diet and nutritional monitoring; foot care, prevention and care of complications; blood glucose monitoring and the techniques of self-monitoring and injection
- Instruct patients in the Standards of Care for diabetes.
- Advise patients as to long-term complications
- Provide clinical resource and consultation to Care Team members
- Assist patients in monitoring blood glucose for the purpose of medication control and adjustment for both insulin and non-insulin dependent diabetics with the primary doctor
- Assess, monitor and implement treatment plans from the primary physician for patients at various stages of the disease
- Provide focus on prevention of complications and management of stable diabetes
- Provide ongoing assessment and recommendations to the Care Team, patient and family for adjustments in the plan of care as required
- Provide nutritional counseling for weight control and disease management
- Deliver patient education as needed or as directed by the primary physician or Care Team
- Perform assessments and data collections, establishes outcome criteria; obtains, reviews, and analyzes information in collaboration with participants, family members, and Care Team members.
- Document assessments, interventions and plans including recommendations, goals, progress notes and interaction summaries
- Develop collaborative relationships with other departments, services, and community health care agencies to facilitate and support quality diabetes care and overall health and well being
- Attend outreach activities such as health fairs for diabetes screening and health education
- Monitor and evaluate short and long-term patient responses to therapeutic interventions in collaboration with providers; provides and maintains necessary follow-up for patients and families.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Current registered nurse licensure in the UAE (preferred)
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or must be obtained within thirty (30) days of hire
- A minimum of one-year experience in healthcare setting, preferably in diabetes prevention or health education program
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or Human Nutrition (preferred)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) or the ability to obtain certificate within two years of employment (preferred)
- Bilingual. Arabic and English (preferred)
- Ability to work independently, exercise creativity, be attentive to detail, and maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial, and legal information
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to handle difficult digital situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner