Zurich is one of the world’s leading insurance groups, and one of the few to operate on a global basis. Our mission is to help our customers understand and protect themselves from risk. With around 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 210 countries and territories, we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers, and employees. We help individuals, small and medium sized companies and global corporations around the world understand and protect themselves from risk by offering a wide range of insurance products, solutions, and advisory services.
We are looking for a Senior Underwriter – Power, to analyze and underwrite highly complex new and renewal business, under minimal direction, utilizing The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework as a subject matter expert, ensuring a high-level service to customers.
As Senior Underwriter – Power, your role will involve:
- Work at the highest authority limits on assignments utilizing the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. Develop and maintain relationships with distributors (agents & brokers) in support of business retention and acquisition and works with customers and distributors (agents & brokers) to determine their insurance related needs and provide solutions.
- Underwrite and analyze new and renewal business within delegated authority levels of highly complex assignments. Demonstrating specialized knowledge and expertise in products and industry.
- Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, and rating manuals.
- Contribute to the development of propositions.
- Provide technical guidance, assistance, and training to lower-level underwriters.
- Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
- Make agent/broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
- Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals.
- Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account.
- Participate in Sales Team meeting as related to assigned brokers and / or territory.
- Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to effective date.
- Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account status within specified time frame.
- Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
- Develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit.
- Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
- Drive/manage how Business Unit will deal with emerging issues.
- Resolve technical issues for company.
- Provide expertise on coverage issues with claims.
- Develop u/w manuals, programs, and guidelines.
- Handle & review large/complex underwriting submissions and annual underwriting reviews.
- Benchmark and establish best practices.
- Monitor and review work undertaken across a number of small to medium scale projects or a large complex project in order to ensure appropriate use of resources and adherence to schedules.
- Provide advisory services to colleagues on a daily basis, measuring exposure and analyzing risk in order to provide appropriate coverage that meets the organization´s risk and compliance processes.
- Research primary data sources, select relevant information, analyze key themes and trends, and make recommendations to support operational decision-making such as which coverage to provide.
- Assess complex customer cases, evaluate their unique needs, and apply technical techniques and know-how to recommend a solution.
- Apply rating tools and methodologies to own work area to deliver to customers and offer suggestions for improvements.
- Advise senior management on appropriate coverage given to customers and/or ensure accurate calculation of earned premium to protect the organization´s interests.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 or more years of experience in the re-insurance industry in the field of Power.
- An ability to understand, interpret and translate customer requirements into deliverables.
- Ability to drive business.
- Proficient knowledge in Underwriting and Underwriting frameworks
- Strong reputation for delivery against sales and expense targets
- Relationship management skills at all levels both externally and within the organization.
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Advanced knowledge of product lines and insurance industry.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and relationship-building skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
At Zurich, we like to think outside the box and challenge the status quo. We take an optimistic approach by focusing on the positives and constantly asking What can go right?
We are an equal opportunity employer who knows that each employee is unique - that’s what makes our team so great!